Monday, February 21, 2011

Action in Picton

I finished painting a 32 today so I thought I would make up a train and sit in on the layout. I don't know how people like James McInerney and the like take photos of such great quality. Mine are always terrible!

If anybody out there knows of a good Humbrol brew for Tuscan as well as Russet could you please let me know. I think I will be able to change my Indian red mixture to suit Tuscan but the Russet is a mystery. I like to use Humbrol paints purely because I have made less mistakes with them in the past.

Anyway I have to get back to installing power to the shed.

Have a great day.

3208 assists train engine 5592 on to the viaduct for the battle south out of Picton.
Not sure if the Mortein building is authentic?

Sunday, February 20, 2011

RUB Cars

I mentioned in my last post that I was about to build a set of RUB cars. Well things have started on fixing the windows so as to more realistically glaze the cars. Thanks to my Uncle, Mark Hollins and his hatred for commercial flush glazing we had to think of an alternative method to glaze each car. Initial experimentation with a dremel resulted in disaster with one of the RUB car sides being sacrificed to the model railroad gods. One of our good friends who happens to own an accurate mill suggested his machine would  be a more appropriate tool. After he very kindly built a suburb jig we set about milling the back out of each window. This then leaves a cavity  in which the glazing can be fixed, sitting about 15 thou from the car side.

The whole process takes around 45 Min's per side. I am sure it could be completed quicker but every move I made on the mill could have meant destruction so I really took my time. It is amazing how hard it is remembering which way the bed moves when you turn the handle. We ended up having having little notes left near each handle as a reminder.

I have thrown in a photo of one SBS side. It is fresh off the mill and still requires a little clean up.

That's it! Now I have to build the bloody things.


Sunday, February 13, 2011

Things are happening, just very slowly!

It's been ages since I have posted on the blog. Things have been progressing slowly and with a looming career and locality change  I am sure that progression will come to a complete stop very soon.

I have still been working on track laying particularly setting the track on baseboard joins. I have been using 3 x 12 mm brass bar stock as a base to secure the PCB sleepers. The sleepers are secured using 10 BA screws and then the rail soldered. It seems to be working well even giving possible fine adjustment of track alignment.

A million tools laying around but no work happening.

Right hand side return loop.

Return loop folded. Just needs to be secured to the wall now.
I was able to shuttle a train up and down the other day. I think it gave me a little encouragement as it was very pleasing to see something actually happening on the layout. I now understand why many layouts never make it to a finished state. They are huge projects and I am now beginning to realise that blogs and forums are a good means to have someone Else's ideas and experiences accessible, especially when you your working solo and perhaps wearing blinkers.

Anyway I have to get back to sanding window seals off first class RUB car sides. The RUB set has been quite involved with the milling of all windows so as to glaze them as flush as possible. More on that next time.

So long,