Sunday, February 20, 2011

RUB Cars

I mentioned in my last post that I was about to build a set of RUB cars. Well things have started on fixing the windows so as to more realistically glaze the cars. Thanks to my Uncle, Mark Hollins and his hatred for commercial flush glazing we had to think of an alternative method to glaze each car. Initial experimentation with a dremel resulted in disaster with one of the RUB car sides being sacrificed to the model railroad gods. One of our good friends who happens to own an accurate mill suggested his machine would  be a more appropriate tool. After he very kindly built a suburb jig we set about milling the back out of each window. This then leaves a cavity  in which the glazing can be fixed, sitting about 15 thou from the car side.

The whole process takes around 45 Min's per side. I am sure it could be completed quicker but every move I made on the mill could have meant destruction so I really took my time. It is amazing how hard it is remembering which way the bed moves when you turn the handle. We ended up having having little notes left near each handle as a reminder.

I have thrown in a photo of one SBS side. It is fresh off the mill and still requires a little clean up.

That's it! Now I have to build the bloody things.

Linton

2 comments:

  1. Linton

    I don't have any RUB cars to build but I really like that window approach.

    Ray P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ray,

    Yeah I think they will come up nicely. I still have two cars to go, it's just finding time now.

    I will be sure to have a look at your photography instructions. I don't have a very expensive camera or anything but I thought it should perform better than it does. It's funny, I have completed courses for a high speed camera set up we used at work but bugger me if I can use this camera at home!

    You just make your layout look so real through the lense. Then again I think it has alot to do with the quality of your layout.

    Linton

    ReplyDelete