A couple of weeks ago I finally finished one of those annoying jobs that had been hanging around for years. I was given, by my brother a very sad but built DJH AD60. It had been sitting around in pieces, packed in a box that had once been soaked with water. Both engine units were corroded and driving wheels were seized. Who ever built the loco did a good job but they had not cleaned the flux residue off properly and corrosion was showing through the paint. Long story short I stripped all the paint of the model and cleaned both chassis assemblies so as to get a bit of movement in the driving wheels. I replaced all the leading and trailing truck wheels with new ones supplied by Al Cutmore. With the wheels turning freely I went on to improving the locos electrical pick up. There have been a few articles on improving the DJH 60 pickups but I decided to pretty much copy the Mansfield version. I added wipers to the driving wheels and fabricated brass plates to retain the leading/trailing truck wheels which also included electrical pickups. With the two chassis frames sharing the same potential the boiler unit simply provides continuity. With regards to the opposite pole, the inner and outer trucks along with the new driving wheel wipers are electrically connected. A coiled wiper soldered to the inner truck securing screw contacts a pad glued to the boiler unit with a wire linking both ends.
After painting and weathering in my usual fashion the big model has proved very successful and is one of my best running models now.
I have added a few pictures anyway as my description is probably not the best.
Along with the 60 class I have been working on the layout. It came time to decide what type of back scene I wanted before anymore track laying continued. I have gone with a curved back scene as I think they give a three dimensional look. I experimented with a sheet of 3mm MDF. While this worked it was a little too heavy and I think after time the edges would be easily damaged. A trip down to the ply shop to buy some bending ply proved very successful. As bending ply is quite expensive the sales man put me onto a product that is made using foamed PVC. The sheets are 3mm think and are extremely flexible, light and tough. The product cuts like wood and can be sanded. So far I am very happy with it and at half the price of bending ply makes it affordable.