Thursday, February 2, 2012

How to make a RTR model into a kit!

Well as the title alludes, I have been busy turning a couple of perfectly good Lima TAM cars basically into kits.
As with the Casula RUB cars I thought there may be a better way to flush glaze the TAMs rather than using the vacuum formed windows available.
To cut a long story short I basically used the same method as the RUB cars and milled the back of the window recesses. To achieve this on the Lima TAM I had to split the coach up the middle. I used a steel mini saw blade mounted in the mill. The cut it produces is incredibly fine while barely produced any shavings. The TAM will glue back together with hardly a difference in its original width.
With the coach in two milling could commence on the window recesses.

Here a few pictures of the process. Once the coach has been glued back together hopefully work will commence on the underframe and roof.



That's it for now.

3 comments:

  1. Now that's impressive...I will watch with anticipation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Andrew,

    Thanks! They may end up an impressive mess yet, so far so good though. Likewise I am looking forward to watching your new layout come to life.

    Linton

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea for cutting the car, Linton.
    Will file that one away. While not as flexible as a mill, I can probably achieve something like it with the drill press.
    Cheers,
    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete