Sunday, May 27, 2012

CWs - Down and Dirty

Lately I have been fiddling around with my new Austrains CWs, trying to replicate there in service appearance. After having a look over James McInerney's Lambing Flat Blog. I was blown away by the weathering effort applied to his model of 1948 CW 27785. I gave James a call, hoping to extract a few secrets. I quickly learnt that there are no secrets and the process is described in AMRM August 07 by James himself. After having a read I armed myself with a paint brush and went crazy. Below are a few pictures. I will have get the airbrush out and spray the under frames, then weather with similar methods. Once the model is back together I will brown the whole thing up a little, probably with powders? Not sure yet?
Side One

Side One

The other side

The other side again

While on the under frames I think I may remove two of the gussets along the side. After looking at photos it does seem as if there are only suppose to be three. Would love to get some feedback on this.

Oh well had better get back to these little Moo Movers. They are going to take quite a while to finish.

Thanks for coming,

Linton

Friday, May 18, 2012

CWs - Getting Used To Baked Beans

I love Fridays! After finishing work at 1230 this afternoon I was greeted by a package on the front door step. I noticed Austrains stamped on the front and was a little unsure about its contents. Inside was my order of CWs. I have not seen any news regarding their arrival so was a little surprised.
What great little models! These four wheelers are beautiful little reproductions. They have been fitted with fine wheels, are weighted nicely (something I have not measured) and are detailed enough not to require too much fiddling.

I am looking forward to see guys like Justin Moy have a crack at these and hopefully pass the results to weathering plebs like myself.

I am now really looking forward to the upcoming Sheep Wagons, not so much to the declining bank balance however ha ha! Does anybody have a few recipes to jazz up baked beans?

Thanks,

Linton

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Maybe I Have A Problem?


Howdy Everyone,

Over the past month, layout construction has most certainly taken a huge step backwards - I have actually started again! Well not entirely true has I am re-using a lot of the previous layouts parts including alloy trestles, track base, lighting pelmets and base board adjusting pieces. The problem that I faced was in the integration of the aluminium curved back scene supports and timber baseboard framing.  As I have a little OCD, I was becoming frustrated with the alignment of the back scene and pelmet. The layout was just becoming a little too complex in construction particularly in regards to the turntable module where the back scene has a different profile. I ended up making the decision to run with a tried and tested portable diorama construction method as explained by the late Rodney James (AJRM) and used by many since. One reason why I avoided this method in the first place was that I didn’t want to cut the 25 profile boards required. Lucky for me, I didn’t have to cut them out after all as I found a local joinery that operates a CNC router. After completing my drawings I emailed them off to the CNC operator, ordered the ply and in a couple of days I had 25 perfectly cut profile boards, too easy!
The three variations. The profiles with holes are the centre sections, cut from 12mm Ext Ply. The end sections are cut from 15mm Ext Ply. The profiles with the rectangular slots are used to mate with the adjusting pieces. 


Over the last few weeks I have been busy gluing and screwing all these parts together. So far it looks great and I am not that far off from being in the same position I was with the old baseboards. It has given me an opportunity to fix a few inaccuracies particularly with the up yard track layout. I have posted a few photos and in two to three weeks I should have the full ten metres standing.


On another note I have been meaning to repost pictures of my colour adjusted PSM 38. I don’t believe the original photos in an earlier post showed an accurate colour. Here are a couple more, taken outside with max f stop and good natural lighting.  

Take care,

Linton