Sunday, July 22, 2012

Building a Dogbox


Hi,
No I am not in trouble, no dog house for me! I thought I may have been as I bought a bergs 57 class  on Friday night. It’s funny because the timing could not have been any better! This weekend Danielle's parents met my parents for the first time. Probably about time as we have been together for almost seven years. I think the long awaited meeting worked a treat, overshadowing the latest purchase! Apart from receiving an ear bashing over marriage, I have had no "how much was it, what do I get now, you already have one" discussions. May have to plan another meeting - real soon ha ha!!!
The 57 is currently pulled apart and I am hoping Al from AR Kits can help me out with a few spare parts. I will leave the 57 project for another post though.
Not much has happened on the layout this weekend. The weather was no good and one of my mates borrowed most of my clamps. I seem to be always buying clamps however never seem to have enough! For anyone interested, Bunnings have four packs of Irwin clamps for $29.00.
Basic Bogie Frame 

Completed bogie side frames ready to be attached.

Side frames added. No comes all the finer detail parts. Can't wait!

This afternoon I sat down and started one of my Michael McCormac LFX cars. Seven hours later a have two basic bogie frames completed. These kits, so far are amazing. I don't think I have enjoyed putting a model together quite this much for a long time! I know it sounds crazy but Mike has actually made these things fit together! The instructions provided are first class and unlike building some other kits you really do have to follow them! Above are a few photos of the afternoon’s achievements. Wouldn't it be nice if the MMM range expanded to cover R cars, RUB cars, HCX, CX, BX, CHO and a few twelve wheelers, hint hint. I know it's wishful, most likely completely unlikely however I am always the optimist ha ha.
Now to start planning the next distraction. A round boiler 36 is really needed ha ha.
Take care,
Linton

3 comments:

  1. Nice one Linton, looking forward to seeing the progress. I really hope MM doesn't rest on his laurels, though I don't think his kits appeal to Mr Average which is a problem as MM has to make a buck out of his kits for him to have an incentive to do more. You have to have some skills to build these kits, which you clearly have, but I fear that the majority of modellers would shy away from them these days. I better stop now as I can feel Emo whinge Fest #2 coming on!!

    Cheers
    Rob

    PS Mike if you're out there please, please can we have a CX, BX, ACX and EHO?? Oh, and what Linton wants too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rob,

    I tried commenting on your blog the other day and for some reason i couldn't. Your latest build looks really good. Are these kits still available? I know nothing of them.

    It's a real shame people may be turned off by Mikes kits. Although I have only partly built the bogies I really don't believe these kits are difficult to build. I think sometimes fine scale models are perceived as being more difficult to build. The LFXs take time to build however with moderate soldering skills and ability to read instruction I believe most people can build one. There are no tricky soldering tasks eg soldering large parts or joints that require precise alignment. Everything fits as designed. The real beauty is that you are supplied with all the detail parts and do not have to scratch build your own. There is the value right there for me!

    I really would like to see the range expand. I understand they are expensive but it's unlikely most people will require large numbers of them. We can spent thousands on locomotives. I think some plastic NR class locos have sold for near a thousand bucks! Give me three MMM LFXs any day ha ha.

    That's enough ranting!

    Linton

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Linton. The FN was made by Pioneer Models and Craig W told me that there were 4mm and 3.5mm scale versions but these were the only kits produced. I picked up mine second hand. Mate, I think sometimes the skills that we think are moderate, a lot of others think are precision!! For some reason, as soon as you mention soldering, people perceive it as some black art and run a mile. But you're right though, the LFX's just take time and patience to build....all the bits are there, you just have to follow the instructions. I'm a carriage and wagon freak so I'll gladly pay good money for a fine scale kit any day. I reckon MM could plan his retirement around my carriage needs!!!

    Take it easy,
    Rob

    ReplyDelete