Sunday, October 28, 2012

Another Christmas Approaches - Nothing Much Has Changed


Howdy Everyone,

I know it’s been a while between blog posts; however I am still alive and kicking. I have not been doing much in regards to the social side of the hobby, however did venture up to Liverpool for what I thought was a great exhibition. It was good to catch up with many people and was great to swap some money for a bag of model train stuff.

Contrary to what my missus believes, the layout is progressing. Danielle thinks all I do is head out to the shed, scratch my head, look at a few things and potter around. She has got it completely wrong! I head out, start one job, get distracted by another play with the dogs, imagine the layout at Liverpool one day then scratch my head. As this build has already taken me around three years (how embarrassing) I should really have a bald spot in the back of my head by now.

Below are a few pics. Sorry if they look a little like the pictures in my last post, boring I know. I now have six mtrs of the overall ten mtrs lit and basically complete - apart from the viaduct module which needs a little more back scene work. Once the timber work is finished I will estapol the whole thing and paint the basic blue sky.






Rolling stock wise I have been painting and modifying a DJH 35 class and a first run Bergs 57. Although not very common on southern lines during the fifties, I just had to finish painting the 35. I didn’t build this loco as it was a hand me down. So far I stripped the body and tender and have applied its first coat of paint. I have now gloss clear coated the model making it ready for decals and enamel washes.

The 57 was bought from a fellow club member. There was something odd looking about the loco but just couldn’t pick it. Comparing it to some photos one day I noticed the model had no brake shoes or rigging. This 57 has already been fitted with a can motor and had a back plate fitted so a lot of the work was done. I have since drilled the funnel out (not a fun task), added a pipe behind the funnel (not sure what it was for?), added brake rigging, added lubrication lines, primed the body along with chassis and have added extra electrical pick-ups. The lubrication lines where horrible to add. I built them using four lengths of 0.15mm bronze wire. They were soldered together once threaded along the side of the engine.  The brake rigging was constructed from DJH 57 class bits. Big thanks to Al Cutmore (AR Kits) for supplying me with kit spare parts. They are attached to the chassis with 16BA screws. This is about as small as I think I could go when it comes to tapping and cutting screws to length. The tapping hole size for 16BA is 0.6mm so once I had tapped all eight threads into the brass tubing, I was ecstatic to still have the tap in one piece!
Here is picture if the 57 class body, more to come once finished.

Well that about all for now. Hopefully my next post will include a few pictures of the layout with track re-laid.
Thanks for looking,
Linton


10 comments:

  1. Linton

    The pipe behind the funnel was for the air pump steam exhaust, found on all cross compound equiped steamers, also 27, 30Ts & 36cl.

    By mid 50's & those lasting late in service, also had a light for illuminating the funnel, i6 was a rectanguar type, located on the SB/Boiler barrel join.

    Drilling the funnel out makes for a perfect fit for speakers if you go down the sound path, as there is more than enough room for one in the SB, facing upwards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day Colin,

      Thanks for the info! Yeah I read in the 57 class book that the square box on top of the SB was a light so the fireman could check his fire. I also noticed that later in their life they had another pipe running up along side the compressor outlet pipe, both running under the light bracket. This pipe was redirected from the side of the SB up to the funnel.

      No sound for me yet. I am not even going DCC ha ha.

      Thanks Colin,

      Linton

      Delete
  2. No need for speed, this is all just beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Peter,

    Thanks for the kind words. Yes speed is not my forte!

    Thanks,

    Linton

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linton

      The 2nd pipe to the funnel is also a steam exhaust for the crosscound pump, seems that was only a feature on the garratts, 57 & more than likely the 58cl as well, not found on the 38 nor 59's.

      If you ever go to DCC, you will need to add all wheel pick ups to it, although it would be a good thing to do it for DC as well.

      Delete
  4. Towley,
    Mate, Brilliant work all round. Can't wait to see the layout at Liverpool......Well as long as I live long enough,....Sorry! Are you going to the convension in Armidale? Would like to see your Finished LWW. If its anything like the craftsmanship of your modules Im sure it will be superb. Keep up the good work.

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day Ian,

      Ha ha thanks mate! I hope I live long enough also! Not sure about Armidale? I would love to go however it is a long hike. I haven't finished the LWW yet ha ha! I have to build some appropriate brake cylinders as I can not find any castings that look correct.

      Thanks for the comments, I am really looking forward to making a start on the BLVs. They should keep me busy for at least three years! Ha.


      Linton

      Delete
  5. Linton,

    Be careful, I've been working on the same layout for over 15 years and, when you look at my photo, have obviously scratched my head more than a few times.

    Seriously though, I admire your commitment to getting the fundamentals right, something I have struggled with over time. The southern lines weren't built in a day but the locomotives are looking great.

    cheers Phil

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ian,
    Your benchwork looks very good - well done. May I ask what material you are using for the curved backboards.
    Regards
    Damian

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Linton,
    Sorry I typed Ian for some reason.
    Cheers
    Damian

    ReplyDelete