Sunday, October 5, 2014

Points Please

Hello,

Just a quick update, well actually more of an advice seeking post. Point building has been going slow, mainly because I have been trying a few different methods and ideas while trying to come up with a standard building process. The time has been spent mainly on the switch rails, both on hinging them and also coupling them together by stretcher bars (I think that's what they are called?). The method used for stretcher bars is probably nothing new however I like the idea of easily removable switch rails for future repairs. I didn't want the switch rails soldered to stretcher bars or connected in too a complicated fashion. The switch rail hinges are stainless Proto87 store items and work very well. The switch rail can simply be pulled out of the hinge.





The method of stretcher bar fitment involves drilling two holes in each switch rail web and pinning to pieces of PCB strip with phosphor bronze wire. My intention is to camouflage the PCB strips and add decretive prototypical stretcher bars made out of styrene and brass. I made a small jig out of brass to aid in drilling the holes in the PCB strip. This keeps the switch rails at the exact distance part. At this point I may have to use a slightly thinner bronze wire as I feel they are a little bulky.



If anybody can see huge errors in this design please let me know. Ballasting may be an issue as well as not being able to disguise them well enough. I have been thinking about thinning down the PCB strips in width around the centre. They do move very nicely and the switch rails close up nicely onto the stock rails.

You may also be able to see that I have added a few stock rail support chairs. These are of the Stephen Johnson Models variety and have been chopped up so as to fit the sleeper plate etches. Not sure if they look that great at this point. Perhaps after a good clean up and paint they may look better.

Yesterday I enjoyed the Liverpool exhibition. It is always good to catch up with everyone and also meet new people. I was in the bad books when I got home as I bought another PSM 38 class without prior finance minister approval. The wedding is still on, so I can safely say I got away with that one! Still looking for that all green non-streamliner though ha.

Well that's about it for now,

Linton

3 comments:

  1. Linton, I think you are doing some great work! If you want to make the stretcher bar then what about making it disappear altogether? I put mine under the base of the sleepers that support the point, then inserted a piece of styrene between them that has a cutout that enables the stitcher to move left and right easily. The point of this is to get the bulk insets of the stretcher out of the way all together, and it works. I've done it on splitters.
    Anyway just a thought, if you want photos I can send you a couple,
    Again I love what you are doing, it looks great!
    Geoff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Geoff,

      Thanks mate. I would love to see some pictures of your set up. If you feel like emailing them - linton78@hotmail.com

      Thanks again,

      Linton

      Delete
  2. Beautiful work as always, Linton!
    Pity I missed you on Saturday.
    Need to catch up soon, I'm looking forward to seeing the MMM doggie....

    Tom - Murrum

    ReplyDelete