Monday, July 13, 2015

Labour of Love

Hi Everyone,

Just a short post as I have not really achieved all that much on the model railway front lately.
Although I would have liked to, I didn't make it to the Epping exhibition in June. While I heard some negative feedback about the show, It still would have been better than going clothes shopping! Yes that's right, that's what I did.

Loco sound wise, not much is new. I am still messing about with the 32 class file. Last Saturday night Danielle and I froze our butts off waiting for 3237 and 5917 heading the Fotoz Flyer. We waited for hours at the cheese factory level crossing in Robertson. Little did we know, it had a few issues coming up the mountain. Anyway with Danielle watching me run around like a frozen, wet mad man, I was able to capture an ok whistle recording. After it zoomed past we jumped in the car and caught the train in Moss Vegas. The whole night was a bit of a waste of time as all the stuff I recorded was pretty much useless. It was however really nice to see two steamers at Moss Vale on a cold winters night, something I have only seen in books. One thing I did find funny was that the train crew were much, much cleaner than all the passengers. It really looked as if they had just emerged out of a coal mine. Apparently the passenger cars were filled with soot through one of the tunnels, pretty funny.

One thing that I have been making progress on is refining my hand laid point work. I bit the bullet and soldered all the etched sleeper plates onto the rail ready for attaching the timber sleepers. This would probably be one of the most boring tasks I have ever carried out. Lucky for me, the sleeper plates only need to be fitted to mainline track.






 I have also decided to hinge the point blades with a pin which fits into a hole. The point blades feel more robust now and will be easier to replace the point blade should something go wrong in the future. The point blade actuator PCB strip is now under the point, as suggested by Geoff (Splitters Swamp Creek). For the photo, I have added one of the spreader bars. Obviously this one would short the point out being made entirely of brass. Not 100% about the this end of the point yet. Still some more experimenting. Next step is to paint, add sleepers and run trains - yeah right.






My new shed has now finished construction. Next thing will be to paint the floor and add two internal walls. The layout room will end up being 14.5m long and 2.4m wide, Picton (Stonequarry) will fit very nicely. At this point it is my intention to house the dog bones in the main part of the shed. These will fold up when not in use. The house slab should be finished this week . Hopefully the planets align for an early 2016 move in.




That's about it for now.

Thanks for looking, bye.

Linton

4 comments:

  1. Good luck with the construction, Linton. There is something very satisfying about a new train room waiting for the great layout of your imagination. I sometimes wish I could start again to rectify the mistakes I now have to live with... ah well :-) Regards, Walter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Walter,

    Thanks mate. It's all coming together, slowly. I really struggled to keep areas clean in my previous shed. I hope to have the layout in its own room along with another clean room for modelling, painting etc. I was inspired by a presenter at the last Armidale convention after he showed us pictures of his modelling area. It was very nice.

    By the way your layout is looking superb.

    Linton

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn you Linton!!, every time you post a new photo of your points, I think "why didn't I do that" Nice work

    Cheers
    Rob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha Rob. The big difference is that you have track and can run a train. My hobby seems to revolve around building just one thing. I will swap you ha ha.

      Delete