Monday, July 20, 2015

Standard Goods Sound

G'day,

With the upcoming release of Eureka's 50 Class I was asked by a mate if I had made any progress with my 50 class sound file.

I recently bought a new recorder and the quality of audio it records is much better than what I had previously. For the past few months I have been recording a few steam locomotives, tracking down their whereabouts and then trying to be in the right place at the right time. This process has proved much harder than originally thought. It seems a lot of steam drivers like to play the whistle and I guess if I was in control of the cord, I would too! This however is no good at all for the editing process, as any variations in the mid section of the sound flow are very noticeable. If only drivers would just blow the damn thing solid for a few seconds hey!

After hours of trying to loop whistle sections together, I feel that I finally have a half decent NSWGR whistle. I have included this whistle in my STD goods project, which I feel fits quite well. Please tell me otherwise if I have ballsed it up.

The new whistle uses a slightly different sound schedule flow to what I have used previously. The whistle length is determined by how long the whistle function is held. The long whistle has two finishes. One that is short and sharp and the other sounding more preservation loco driver (a little more character).

I have included a video of my Classic Brass saturated 50 Class. I have recorded the sound separately with my Zoom recorder and then married up the sound/video using movie maker software. I think the quality is better than previous videoing attempts however it may be slightly out of sync.

Also, the compressor gets a little bit muddled up in the beginning of the film. This is because I had the compressor function running and then the random sound compressor kicked in also. Something that may need some work.

The loco is fitted with a Loksound V4 21 pin decoder and a 15mm x 12mm Zimo Sugarcube speaker.

Anyway here it is -



I am not sure if it is a good idea yet, but I have been thinking about actually charging a small fee for my ESU projects. While I am an amateur and not likely to retire on the idea, I feel that the time put into them is probably worth something? Feel free to tell me what you think about this.

Hopefully within the week I will be able to video my 32 class and post on here also.

Thanks for looking and please offer any advice. I am all ears.

Linton


12 comments:

  1. Hi Linton

    I like the whistle but i am no expert I think given the time and effort you invest in developing the files you should definitely charge for them I would be happy to pay.

    Cheers Jon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linton.
    Your dedication in developing these sound files is amazing with the time and effort involved. Well done, oh yes nice looking 50 class. Peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha it is a nice 50. It has been a great little model, thanks Peter.

      Delete
  3. Linton

    Sounds good; yes, definitely think about charging for your work.

    Ray P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray. Will have to catch up soon.

      Delete
  4. Linton

    The chord mob these days are far too influenced by the great country that is seperated from the rest of the world by their 2 borders & East & West coastlines, for some reason the playing with the whistle chords may be great over there but not so much here, I would have thought that even today, that there would be restrictions on how much & where the whistles are actually used.

    Anyway, as for your sound project, I think overall its good, whistles sound fine to me, the short sharp is great with the cut in & out. The longer playing one is also good, & although it is of a type that was used a direct & sharp in out was more common.

    The exhaust is ok, but when freighters were working hard there was a bit more depth or throaty sound to them, I will see if I can find a bit of a recording & send to you.

    Col

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Col,

      I think they just play the whistle these days to entertain on lookers. I like the short sharp whistle also. It just sounds right to me.

      I would love more depth to the chuff however I don't think these little speakers will ever achieve the results really required. Perhaps one day.

      Delete
  5. Linton
    Sound great to me.
    I used to install decoders that takes time, so I charged a fee, you spend hours compiling a sound project, then charge a fee.
    Regards Marcus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcus,

      A complement from you regarding the sound of a decoder means a lot. Thanks for the kind words.

      Linton

      Delete
  6. Hello Linton.
    Your sound project is very nice. Tweaking it to run a loco nicely, as does Mike from DCC sounds Australia is worth the fee alone. Loksound have serial numbers that disallow stealing of your projects or easy copying. So you can do your business via email with attachments, providing the purchaser can get hold of a programmer to firstly locate the serial number, then after load it on. Perhaps the best idea is to ask the business that sells the decoders to load your sound scheme on, when the decoders are purchased. It makes no difference to them, as they have to load one of the loksound schemes on anyway? Customer buys a decoder and your $30 is billed to the shopkeeper?
    Particularly like the drifting and the rod clank, suspect the rod clank could be improved or is too quiet..Well done
    Cheers
    Rod

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds a million times better than I've EVER heard ANY previous steam loco sound mate!!! Excellent work and don't be shy to charge a fair fee for your effort.
    Cheers,
    Bill Roach

    ReplyDelete